RE: shutdown disappeared

Did you look in the directory that locate said the file was in (my guess is /sbin)
to see if the file was actually gone? Were you logged in as root at the time the
command wasn't found? Had you changed your path at all during the session?
is /sbin in your path?

I'd look for the simple answers before starting to reinstall packages. Your heart
will beat a lot slower as a result...
----
Robert P. Nix                            internet: nix.robert@xxxxxxxx
Mayo Clinic                                  phone: 507-284-0844
RO-CE-8-857                                page: 507-270-1182
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
----   "Codito, Ergo Sum"
"In theory, theory and practice are the same,
 but in practice, theory and practice are different."