Unwanted Nautilus desktop icons & errant Trash

I have got /etc/fstab to mount my windows ntfs hard drive and five
network (samba) shares at boot.  All works fine except that it then puts
icons on my desktop.  I don't want icons -- I am perfectly happy going
to /mnt/... to browse them

Is there anything I can do to Nautilus or in fstab to stop getting
desktop icons?  My /etc/fstab has these entries:

/dev/hda1               /mnt/windows            ntfs
owner,user,uid=500,gid=500 0 0
//fido/gardner          /mnt/fido/gardner       smbfs
username=gardner,password=xxxxxxxx,uid=500,gid=500,rw   0 0
//fido/liturgy          /mnt/fido/liturgy       smbfs
username=gardner,password=xxxxxxxx,uid=500,gid=500,rw   0 0
//fido/public           /mnt/fido/public        smbfs
username=gardner,password=xxxxxxxx,uid=500,gid=500,rw   0 0
//fido/studium          /mnt/fido/studium       smbfs
username=gardner,password=xxxxxxxx,uid=500,gid=500,rw   0 0
//fido/webteam          /mnt/fido/webteam       smbfs
username=gardner,password=xxxxxxxx,uid=500,gid=500,rw   0 0

SECONDLY - a trash problem.  I deleted a file from my samba share
//fido/gardner and it's now in the wastebasket.  However, when I try to
delete it I get the error message "Directory busy".  If I umount
//fido/gardner then the file disappears from the watsebasket.  Is there
any way I can force a deletion?  (I've tried rm -f).

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Tim