Re: fedora will not access dhcp server to get IP

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 15:20, Trevor Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:26:00 -0500, Ken Chamberlain wrote:
>
> >In a adsl network setup, there IS no eth0 interface.  My RHL 8 clean
> >install incorrectly assumed the detected ethernet device was part of a
> >local area network.  Perhaps this has happened to you.  Disable this
> >interface (eth0) if it isn't already.  Then set-up a ppp0 interface via
> >Internet Connection Wizard. Device type should be xDSL.  Ethernet
> >device=ent0, ISP provider=ppp0 (if you want it to auto start
> >networking).  Provide userid and password.  A tip:some userid's should
> >be specified as userid@domain.
>
> I believe that you are mistaking one type of ADSL connection for ALL
> types. My local ISP seems to now offer the type of service you are
> referring to (PPPoE) which requires a login name and password.
>
> However, my ISP has been providing ADSL service for a few years and
> when I signed up, there was no such beast as described above. I do not
> even have a username and password. In windows, and previously in Linux,
> none are / were required. I just selected connect via DHCP and that was
> that.
>
> Now, it is theoretically possible that my ISP has somehow switched me
> over to their "new" high speed ADSL which allegedly uses PPPoE and
> maybe that's why linux suddenly can't connect.
>
> But if that is the case, why does Windows continue to connect? I have
> never offered, nor been asked by Windows for a userid and password. I
> have released my IP in Windows, confirmed that I no longer have any
> connection to the 'net, then renewed my IP from Windows and it
> correctly connects via DHCP *without* asking for a userid and password.
>
> Further, I asked my phone company why I would want to switch to their
> new PPPoE type service, they told me of the "benefits and I declined.
> No change to my service was asked for or reported.
>
> I may be wrong, but I remain convinced that my computer is not
> connected to the network in any fashion that requires a userid or
> password.
>
> Any comments on how I could be wrong? Im seriously stumped and open to
> ANY suggestions.

One internet provider on my country requires a change on the MTU in
order to be able to connect (they provide a WLL based service), many
linux users were able to connect on windows but not on linux because
they provided a Windows only setup utility that changed the MTU value
without the user intervention. Try setting the MTU value on linux with
the same value that Windows has