Re: fedora will not access dhcp server to get IP

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 9:55, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> Message: 9
> Subject: Re: fedora will not access dhcp server to get IP
> From: Chris Kloiber <ckloiber@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:20:52 +0800
>
> On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 09:55, Trevor Smith wrote:
> > I have had the same hardware and installed various versions of (red
> > hat) linux many times over the past years. It has always autodetected
> > all my hardware and autoconnected to my Internet provider. Originally
> > my local cable company using DHCP then my local phone company (ADSL)
> > also using DHCP. At no time did I ever configure any networking, I
> just
> > told whatever version of red hat to use DHCP and we were off.
> >
> > I hadn't been using linux much but now I'm enrolled in computer
> science
> > and wanted to stop using Win2k so thought I'd install a newer version
> > of everything but suddenly I have no ability to connect to the
> network.
> > Again, no hardware has changed -- except I did install 256 meg more
> > RAM. The ADSL "modem" has remained connected, the nic is the same,
> > everything is exactly as it was, where it was. Win2k continues to
> > access my ADSL connection 100% of the time.
> >
> > I installed Fedora core 1 and, as usual, the installation was flawless
> > -- except after install, there is no connection to the DHCP server. At
> > boot it says 'bringing up eth0...' then a line about failing to get ip
> > settings or something. Trying to get eth0 to work after boot is
> > similarly useless. It waits for approx 1 minute each time then says
> > "failed".
> >
> > I have reinstalled 6 or 7 times with different strategies, but no
> > different results. I tried a SuSE network install, but it also fails
> > get any sort of connection (but that may be because I have no idea
> what
> > "parameters", if any, are needed for the nic.
> >
> > Interestingly, I tried reinstalling Red Hat 7.2 and it did not set up
> > my nic properly but this is NOT the problem with Fedora and SuSE. BOTH
> > are identifying my nic properly and fedora, at least, installs the
> > "proper" driver. The nic is a D-Link but it has always been identified
> > as a DEC 21x4x based card. I even took the damn thing out to read the
> > chip numbers to make sure I wasn't remembering it wrong. (And I
> > *wasn't* remembering wrong.)
>
> The DEC 21x4x uses a 'tulip' driver, in older distributions the driver
> may have been 'de4x5', depending on the age of the card.
>
> > So I "rebooted" the "modem" by unplugging it, hoping to get new IP
> > leases, or whatever. No change. Win2k still works perfectly, linux
> > still fails to contact anything when first attempting to find the dhcp
> > server.
> >
> > btw, l0 works fine (i can ping 127.0.0.1).
>
> You don't even need a network card for 127.0.0.1 to work.
>
> > there seems to be no dhcpcd or pump on fedora, but i did find that
> [...]
In a adsl network setup, there IS no eth0 interface.  My RHL 8 clean
install incorrectly assumed the detected ethernet device was part of a
local area network.  Perhaps this has happened to you.  Disable this
interface (eth0) if it isn't already.  Then set-up a ppp0 interface via
Internet Connection Wizard. Device type should be xDSL.  Ethernet
device=ent0, ISP provider=ppp0 (if you want it to auto start
networking).  Provide userid and password.  A tip:some userid's should
be specified as userid@domain.

--
Ken Chamberlain <ken.chamberlain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
University of Toronto