kernel gcc version doesn't match gcc I used

I've noticed several threads about the Fedora kernel being compiled with a
different version of gcc than what comes with Fedora so I thought I could
side-step those issues by simply recompiling the kernel using the included
gcc. "gcc -v" reports "gcc version 3.3.2 20031022 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.2-1)"
but after I compiled my new kernel the following shows at the top of
/var/log/dmesg after a reboot with the new kernel -- still indicating a
connection to gcc 3.2.3 even though I don't have and didn't use that
version... unless something strange is happening behind the scenes.

Linux version 2.4.22-nptl.custom (root@knetpc4) (gcc version 3.2.3 20030422
(Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-
6)) #1 Sun Nov 23 14:33:57 CST 2003

Any insight is appreciated, thank you.