Re: Remote GNOME

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 13:04, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I have two PC's and a laptop networked together.  One PC is a server and
> the other has the complete install for RH9 on it and is usually used for
> experimentation.  My laptop runs Linux kinda slow, so I mainly use it to
> ssh to one of the other PCs and run programs remotely off them.  What I
> was wondering was is there a way to log onto GNOME or KDE remotely and
> be able to use it as if you were sitting at the machine running it?
> I've been running programs (like mozilla and evolution) remotely from
> the bash prompt, but I'd like to be able to see my panel/desktop/etc and
> not have to run nautilus everytime I need to do something with a file
> that has a space in the filename.  I know there's an rlogin command, but
> I can't seem to find many details on how to use it.  Can anyone help
> me?  Thanx!
> -Michael Sullivan-

XDMCP, or VNC. VNC is easier to configure, but may not be as flexible.
Neither one will give you sound by itself, although you could try
playing with the networking abilities of the sound server on a small
trusted network like your home network.

rlogin is obsolete. If you are using ssh you can do anything you need
that rlogin could.

--
Chris Kloiber
Red Hat, Inc.