Re: Dual boot setup

On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 10:58, Neil Hodge wrote:
> All:
>
> A few questions about setting up a linux/windoze dual boot system:
>
> * All of the web pages I see regarding this say to install windoze
> first.  Any particular reason other than not having to manually modify
> grub.conf?
>
> * Will windoze (specifically 2000) install and boot ok if it is on the
> first drive but _not_ on the first partition?

---
I believe that the installation process of Windows will not simply
modify the grub bootloader, it will overwrite it completely. You will
need to boot from an emergency floppy to boot Linux after the Windows
install and grub-install /dev/hda   or whatever.  The reason the
instructions tell you to install Windows first is because it is
infinitely easier.

Yes, Windows 2000/XP is capable of booting off any partition or
secondary hard drive as long as bootloader can tell it where to locate
it.

Craig