Re: Hello:I am new user in this mailing list

PatrickM wrote:
When looking to the Redhat products ("home-editions"), the support will end within 6 months (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Fedora is entirely build on/with/from open-source material.

Is that to say that RH9 is not?
I am also new to Linux, but not to computers in general, and after starting out' with RedHat9 and getting a scare out of the EOL announcement, I too tried out "Fedora Core 1" - for me it was a step back, if I may use the analogy *here*, from W2K to Win98.

Flame if you will, but many others will say nothing and silently give it up. I *want* to keep my RH9, and if possible, to maintain it at a reasonable state of revision - but that will probably only be possible *if* RH9 is also consists purely of open-source material.

Of course if Fedora - which from my point of view, comes with a good pedigree, but does not seem to deliver the goods - gets a lot more 'reliable' and/or (new-) user friendly, I shall give it a fair chance.

Oh, by the way can anyone answer my implied question about RH9's
maintainability? - even without RedHat support - if so can you make it
simple enough for a windoze refugee?

Best regards , DD

In my opinion, open-source is the future! Therefor, it's definately worth trying ;-)

PatrickM

"All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you..."