Re: [linuxconf] re: RedHat's recent notification

Oh I don't know.  I had the last version ( yeah it's not dead, it's even still being updated regularly) up and running on Redhat 9 and it was pretty helpful.  At least it tends to let me have access to a lot more (if not all) of the options for the various different services it can help you setup.  Particularly when you don't know all of the details needed to setup the services that you are trying to use, some hand holding from a gui is nice, as long as it can get out of the way when you need it to.  This is something that Linuxconf has been as good if not better at then any other gui (short of SWAT) I have come across, particularly for one that can be access via TUI, GUI, or Web.  Besides you always have the option of not using/ disabling certain modules if you don't want them.

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 19:43, Chris Kloiber wrote:
On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 04:35, Jason Corekin wrote:
> Great I look forward to getting linuxconf up and running on Fedora?  By the
> way does anyone know if there are any configuration changes that linuxconf
> needs to take into account to work properly on Fedora and if so has this
> already been done?

Linuxconf?

</me shudders>

That died a slow, horrible death back in the 7.x days because it was
unmaintainable, IIRC. I know it had a *nasty* habit of messing with
config files that you hand edited, and rewrote some config files when
you weren't expecting it to (IE: Try to edit a user and linuxconf hosed
both sendmail and apache as an added "bonus").

You really want that particular monster to rise from the grave? I will
give linuxconf some credit, without it I never would have learned how to
hand edit config files.

To be fair, I continue to shun the current crop of gui-tools as much as
possible to this day. Many of the current gui tools keep their real
configuration files in *other* locations, often as (compressed) .xml
files, and overwrite any hand-edited-in options they don't understand,
even perfectly valid ones.