Re: Linux isn't ready for the Desktop ...

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:39:02 -0400, Ben Steeves wrote:

> Quite nice, in an eye-candy sort of way :-)  Personally I prefer the
> more professional look of the default Bluecurve theme (especially the
> new updated one with Fedora).

Yeah it is a bit OTT, but I just wanted to mess about with some Aqua(esk)
stuff, I'll probably reduce the size of the desktop icons to 48x48 and
leave it at that ... until I get bored again.

> But out of curiousity (and the possibility of needing to wow some of my
> OS X using friends :-), what theme is that you're using?

The GTK component is "Panther GTK 0.3", and the Metacity part is "Panther
Metacity .2" both by Justin J. Kelly. Get it at themes.freshmeat.net.

The desktop icons were ripped from a Mac icon set at www.xicons.com (in
the "Aqua" category) called "Transparent Buttons" by Helmer, and the black
"glass effect" folder icons were made available already in PNG format by
the author of the "Tux'n'tosh" set (Bandar Raffa) at his homepage
www.sadeem.net/tux.html (seems down ATM).

Anyone who wants Helmer's stuff pre-ripped, I'm only too happy to package
it up for ya, but I'm going to contact the author first to clear it, since
it is not in it's original form.

I then basically cloned the Blucurve icons theme to ~/.icons, renamed it
"Panther" and dropped in the replacements. Easiest way. That way every now
and then when I find icons I like, I can drop them in, maybe replicating
all the different resolutions (not that it matters to me ... I'll always
be running at 1600x1200 (112/114dpi?) so 48x48 will suite me, unless I
start going blind :)

-
[H]omer