Re: Session chooser before login

Thomas DuVally wrote:

That said, I always thought that was a pain. Debian does it slightly
better in that it tells you that this is now your default session.

I never understood this.  What is the reasoning behind NOT simply
logging in with the last session that was used?  Why does the user even
need to be informed?  S/he goes through the trouble of selecting from a
list, which typically includes about 2-3 mouse clicks.  Can't the user
be trusted to know what they are doing even sometimes?

I totally agree, and if the reason behind this is that user can't be trusted to know what they're doing, how does making the process more cumbersome help?

Automatically making the current selection the default for the future seems like the kind of thing a user-friendly UI would do. At the very least the popup dialog that tells you about some other program that will make your selection sick could be replaced with a checkbox for doing just that. I can't see how that wouldn't be a vast improvement.

I agree that this is, in balance, a small issue. But sometimes small UI issues make a huge difference. I can say that with some authority since I've been developing UIs for the last five years or so, and have talked with a lot of confused users.

Yes, I've already whined about this, but it seemed like a good time to re-whine :)

Not really upset,
Peter