Re: Suspend

On Friday November 21, 2003 Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Thursday 20 November 2003 12:23, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
>
>> > How do we suspend using the acpi?
>>
>> echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
>
> Assuming this works (it doesn't for me)
> how do you wake the machine up again?

Tim,

I use an alternative method that was nicely documented on this list a few
days ago: apm -s (for "suspend"). After 3-4 seconds, my laptop's screen
goes completely dark and battery usage probably drops to near zero.

To "resume", I use the same keys I use with That Other OS:  [Fn] + [F7]
and wait a few seconds. If yours is not a laptop, tapping a non-reserved
key a few times might wake it up. Or pushing the power button *briefly*.
All that's needed is to activate the right hardware interrupt to wake up
your CPU. Note that if you hold the power button down for more than 4
seconds, you'll shut your system down uncleanly.

Hope this helps...

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL