Re: Upgrading from Redhat7.2 to new Fedora release?

> > Hello,
>
> > I have a computer running with the Redhat 7.2 release of Linux. What
> > is the procedure I need to follow if I want to upgrade my machine to
> > the newest Fedora release?
>
> Not a good idea.  I found out the hard way that you don't want to upgrade
> between major versions, and since Fedora is supposed to be RHL 10 (though
> from the traffic on this list, it looks like it has *way* more problems than
> I ever remember seeing in RHL) you have three major versions (7 -> 8, 8-> 9,
> 9->10) to go through.
>
> You'd be better off just starting clean with a new fedora install than
> trying to upgrade.

Hi,

I did it last week and the whole process was not so painful. This were the
major problems:

- different unresolved rpm dependeces:
  you can fix this with apt after the installation
- sendmail to postfix:
  you will have to port all the settings to postfix (or install sendmail)
- apache: new major version
  you will have to hack your httpd.conf files quite a lot depending on
  your configuration
- ...

In principle I had no major problems but I obviously had to change a lot
of configuration files (samba, cups, ...)

Ciao

	Matteo

--
Matteo Corti                                  e-mail:
Computer Systems Institute                    matteo.corti@xxxxxxx