Re: [Re: fedora install not finding /dev/hda]

> > It's called "cable select" and it is one of the most evil things I've
> > ever seen.  It works, oh, about 30% of the time and causes nothing but
> > grief the other 70% of the time.  I HIGHLY recommend you DON'T use it.
> > Jumper to master or slave and if your BIOS doesn't like it, upgrade the
> > BIOS.  Jumpering a drive that's the only thing on the bus as master
> > absolutely SHOULD work.
> >
> Just wanted to know, what is cable select? I have come across it but
> couldn't understand it ever. Since you mentioned it, it aroused my long
> dead curosity:)

Cable select was *supposed* to be a way of designating which HD would be
master and which the slave without having to change those little jumpers.
(You'll see a jumper setting for CS on most HDs that stands for cable
select.)

Basically, IIRC, if all of the hd's are set for cable select, then the hd at
the end of the cable is the master, and the hd in the middle of the cable is
the slave.  However, like Elliott said, it rarely works.  I manually set the
jumpers to master and slave also, to keep from having issues.

Ben