Re: automatic root login, gdm

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 00:59, Ben Stringer wrote:

> As per Lamont's mail, this is a bad idea as you can no longer limit what
> gets changed on the systems you support.
>
> If you decide to proceed regardless, look at putting the
> "redhat-config-*" utilities under sudo, so normal users can run them. At
> least then you can configure sudo to log the usage of these commands.
> This is not so bad as opening up root to everyone.
>
> > I try in gdm-config, that automatic login only allow uid > 500 ?
>
> You _definately_ don't want to remove the root password or allow
> automatic root login.

    As an alternative, how about creating a webmin account, and allowing
SOME things to be changed...a very narrow set of choices...so as to keep
the hijynx down to a minimum?   Just a thought...

Brian FahrlÃnder                     Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                    http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262