Re: USB Pen Drive?

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 20:09, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Bryan Anderson wrote:
> > Rick Stevens wrote:
> >
> >> You need to create filesystems on the pen drive.  Do an
> >> "fdisk -l /dev/sda".  See if you get a "/dev/sda1" or something
> >> like it.  If you don't, you need to partition the drive and make a
> >> filesystem on it using fdisk and "mkfs -t ext3" or "mkfs -t vfat" (for
> >> a DOS-compatible filesystem).
> >>
> >> If you do get a partition, see what the filesystem type is and specify
> >> that using the "-t" option of mount:
> >>
> >>      mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash
> >>
> >> (that assumes a vfat filesystem).
> >

> > I followed teh instructions above, then tried to mount it again as above
> > and got the same error. However....bit of thinking, I tried mounting it
> > with mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/flash (no 1 after the sda) and it
> > works.
>
> Weird.  What does "fdisk /dev/sda" show when it's plugged in?
>
> >       I had to pop the disk into a Windows machine and re-format it
> > first (though it WAS formatted as FAT, I re-did it as Fat32).
>
> You could've mounted it with "-t msdos" without the reformat.
>
> > Many, many thanks.
>
> You're welcome.
>
> > Now to try the Clie with USB connection......
>
> Ooooooo!  Don't have a Clie, but my Visor Prism works peachy.

Here are my /etc/fstab entries for a USB digital card reader (camera)
and for my Clie (NX-70V) Memory Stick via USB:

/dev/sdb1  /mnt/flash  vfat  noauto,user  0 0
/dev/sda1  /mnt/clie   vfat  noauto,user  0 0

These work fine for me on a Dell i8200 laptop with two USB ports. I then
mount them using the Gnome desktop menu with a right mouse click to
"disks" which has a check box each for the flash and the clie.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz