Re: Latest Kernel 2.6 from arjan

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 02:20, Mike Chambers wrote:
> The last couple of kernels built seem to have login issues once the
> machine is booted up.  Can't login as root or anything else, using
> console or GDM login screen.
>
> Here is what I see in the log..
>
> Nov 19 22:30:32 bart login(pam_unix)[1111]: session opened for user root
> by LOGIN(uid=0)
> Nov 19 22:30:34 bart login[1111]: Unable to get valid context for root
> Nov 19 22:30:34 bart login[1111]: Authentication failure

You are not using the SELinux supporting login tools.  You need to
either build a kernel with SELinux turned off, or pass an option to the
kernel from the boot loader (at boot time, whatever).

To be able to pass the boot time parameter to disable SELinux, you have
to build a kernel with the CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_BOOTPARAM option
enabled.  Then you can pass the "selinux=0" option to that kernel at
boot time to disable SELinux.

A better solution would be to learn more about SELinux and start using
it.  But that is another learning curve to visit.  It is not that bad of
one, but still...something more to do.  If you are in a hurry to get
your 2.6.0-test9 (I assume you are using the latest, but what do I
know?) kernel up, then just compile your kernel as I described above.

> And always get a question bout "using context security or something
> along those lines" when you try.

Security contexts are part of SELinux.  Visit
<http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/> for more information.

--
Lamont Peterson <lamont@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Instructor