Re: [Re: fedora install not finding /dev/hda]

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 10:27, Fred Antrobus wrote:
> I figured out the problem finally.
>
> The drive I had was the only drive and I had it jumpered as the master .
> When I removed the jumper entirely everything started working.
>
> I don't understand but It works great now.

With all Western Digital IDE drives that I have ever owned, used, sold
and/or seen, you have to jumper it for Master or Slave if there is
another device on the channel with it.  Otherwise, you *must* simply
take the jumper off or it will not work.

If one reads the label on a Wester Digital hard drive, they should see a
diagram that shows the jumper placed on "sideways" if the drive is the
only device on the channel (though most work without any jumper, also).

I am sorry that I did not tell you this yesterday.  I was too busy
dealing with other mailing lists right then :-).
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Instructor