Re: KDE 3.1.93 for Fedora spotted

Jim Cornette wrote:
Mike Chambers wrote:

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 04:04, Than Ngo wrote:

yesterday i have uploaded KDE 3.2 Beta 1 for Fedora Core 1 to ftp.kde.org ;-)

Someone that d/l'd and installed it said there were menu changes/problems and a few programs crashing.

Is there something that stops the menu deal or is consistant with the
menu in FC 1?

I downloaded the rpms to a local directory. When I tried to update the packages, I got these errors from up2date.

Are these the programs that crash?

Jim

Test install failed because of package conflicts:

file /usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.sun.xml.calc.desktop from install of kdelibs-3.1.93-0.1 conflicts
with file from package openoffice.org-1.1.0-6
file /usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.sun.xml.draw.desktop from install of kdelibs-3.1.93-0.1 conflicts
with file from package openoffice.org-1.1.0-6
file /usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.sun.xml.impress.desktop from install of kdelibs-3.1.93-0.1 conflicts
with file from package openoffice.org-1.1.0-6
file /usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.desktop from install of kdelibs-3.1.93-0.1 conflicts
with file from package openoffice.org-1.1.0-6

Yup, got those errors too. The only workaround I found was to remove openoffice, install the new KDE packages, then reinstall. As long as you keep your ~/.openoffice directory, the uninstall/reinstall process *shouldn't* affect any of your settings,templates,etc. But don't quote me on that :)

I posted a couple of days ago referring to programs crashing after installing the update to KDE. The problem seemingly has corrected itself (with sporadic random exceptions), but I've still been unable to run any GL-enabled programs since.

Also as I said, it looks like the menu structure has changed slightly from 3.x -> 3.2, it appears Fedora gets confused as to where some programs should go. Consequently, I've got an 'Unknown' menu entry which holds a bunch of random apps that it didn't know what to do with.

Mike