Re: Console font breaks after X

Jani Ollikainen wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 10:25:10AM +0200, Jani Ollikainen wrote:

> Ok, some more info which i forgot and some testing which doesn't
> tell me anything either..

> I have "vga=1" parameter to the kernel.

> and some testing:

> setfont lat9w-08
> stty -a, says 50x80
> <-- X -->
> stty -a, says 50x80, i can see half of the font

> setfont lat9w-16
> stty -a, says 25x80, looks like 25x80
> <-- X -->
> stty -a, says 25x80, but it looks like 50x80 and i can see half of the font.

Never knew of setfont.

> <-- X -->, means visiting XFree and coming back to console..

> So hope that makes someone to understand what could be the problem,
> i'm frustrated with this because i usually bounce between virtual console
> and X..

I've never seen any recommendation to put vga=1 on a kernel line, so I'm
going to recommend you try each of two alternatives, in no particular
order:

1-vga=788 (what I use)
2-vga=ask

The first is an 800x600 resolution 100 col 37 row mode. The second is as
it appears: on boot, it will provide some options for you to pick from.
Make note of the choices, as they will all be valid alternatives to 788
and ask.
--
"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
                                                1 Peter 5:5 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/