fedora install not finding /dev/hda

I am trying to install Fedora on a new box, with a 7vt600 gigbyte MB and a
Western Digital HD (WD1200JB-00CR1) 120gb, 512mb RAM

1): Doing the standard graphical install with no parameters the after
answering questions about my monitor, install tells me it can not find a file
system to install on.

2); Doing the the graphical install using the parmeters hda='16838,16,63' the
installer lets me partition the drive and then when it tries to save the boot
loader info (grub) the computer beeps loudly and then powers down.

I am pretty sure that this is a drive geometry problem
I just don't know where to go from here.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

p.s. I also tried redhat 9.0 and mandrake 9.2 with the same basic results.

Fred Antrobus
fredantrobus@xxxxxxx