2.6.0-test kernel and the ali5451 sound card

I'm gonna try posting this again for two reasons: first, I have a bit more
information to provide, and second, because I don't believe there is
no-one floating around the list that can't help me out.

Here's the order of events

1) Downloaded and installed the following 2.6.0-test kernel from arjanv's
repo: kernel-2.6.0-0.test9.1.89

2) Downloaded all the support RPMs as well, but didn't install them since
the dates and version numbers where lower than those already installed on
FC1.

3) Created my /etc/modprobe.conf - after much tweaking, poking, prodding,
and googling, it looks like this:

include /etc/modprobe.conf.dist
alias eth0 natsemi
alias sound-slot-0 snd-ali5451
alias sound-card-0 snd-ali5451
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias usb-controller usb-ohci
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias eth1 orinoco_pci
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install sound-slot-0 && { /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :; }
remove sound-slot-0 { /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove sound-slot-0

(Note: in my original post, I was trying to use the "snd-trident" driver,
but I feel this is a better match for the hardware).

4) When I reboot, all the relevant modules are loaded when needed (e.g.
when I bring up eth[0|1], those modules load fine). Unfortunately sound
does not.

5) If I manually type "modprobe snd-ali5451" it loads up no worries.

--> Question 1 is why doesn't it load automatically, like 2.4.22's
"trident" module does?

6) I've gone away and installed the alsa RPMs from FreshRPMS, since the
new kernel wants to use alsa.

7) I then go into KDE, and some sound-related things work (such as the
mixer, which loads up fine), others do not. For a start, Xine (which I
obtained from http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/) has serious
issues playing - it correctly realises that it should use the ALSA plugin,
but no sound comes out, it fills up the output buffer and starts throwing
error messages that the buffer is full.

audio_alsa_out: snd_pcm_open() of front failed: Invalid argument
audio_alsa_out: >>> check if another program don't already use PCM <<<
libmad: ALERT input buffer too small (418 bytes, 83 avail)!
audio_alsa_out: snd_pcm_open() of front failed: Invalid argument
audio_alsa_out: >>> check if another program don't already use PCM <<<

8) Also, I insert an audio CD and nothing happens (I start up kscd, but it
doesn't even pick up the audio CD to play it - I don't know if this is
related to my sound woes or not).

If someone floating around out there on the list has any suggestions at
all, i'd appreciate it. Obviously it's just a test kernel, and these sorta
bugs are to be expected - but I have a feeling this is just something
stupid I'm doing wrong somewhere.

Cheers,
Dan