Fedora installation kernel and driver disk bug?

Hi,

I have built driver disks for previous versions of RedHat to support installation with disk controllers or network adapters not supported with the drivers on CD. I am attempting to do the same with Fedora, but it seems that the behavior of the installer has been changed a bit. Instead of searching for the driver under:

2.4.22-1.2115.nptlBOOT

The installer is searching under:

2.4.22-1.2115.nptl

Not only that, but it expects the driver to be compiled using the kernel-2.4.22-i586.config file.

Putting i586 driver modules in this directory will allow the system to be installed, but then the wrong modules get installed under /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl and the system won't boot. The workaround is to boot the SMP kernel and then copy the proper modules and remake the initial ramdisk. Is this a bug, or has the layout of the driver disks changed?

Mike Madore