Re: rpm warning

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 15:59, Jay Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 05:33:05PM +0300, Artem B. Bityuckiy wrote:
> > Jay Turner wrote:
> > >
> > Yes, I'm wrong, sorry, these warnings appear when I'm trying to 'rpm -i ..'
> > Is this normal?
>
> They're nothing to be worried about then.  Here's briefly what's going on.
> You are attempting to install a couple of packages.  RPM looks at the first
> one and finds out that it requires glibc-2.3.2 in order to function, so RPM
> adds "glibc = 2.3.2" to it's dependency stack.  Then another package comes
> along which only requires "glibc <= 2"  Since this is a more general
> requirement, but isn't in conflict with the first glibc requirement, RPM
> replaces the "glibc = 2.3.2" requirement with "glibc <= 2" and prints out a
> message that the change has been made.

Uhm, I think you missed the unfortunate linewrap in the OP. RPM is
reporting:

warning: package glibc = 2.3.2-101 was already added, replacing with
glibc <= 2.3.2-101

My guess is the OP is trying to install the 2.3.2-101 glibc RPM when in
fact it's allready installed.

For your future installs though, it's a lot better to update packages
instead of using -i for installing. This way older packages will be
replaced with new ones, you'll get an error if you try upgrading to a
package that's allready there, and packages that are not in your
installation at all will be installed as if rpm -i was used.

The command 'rpm -Uvh <your packages>' will give you some nice output
wrt. what's going on.

Cheers,
--
Tarjei