Re: Yum is not an .rpm package error message

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 14:59, BFD wrote:
> I am not so sure this could be as there were no error messages when I
> downloaded it. This was done twice, once by http from RH's site, and
> once by ftp from ibiblio.
>
> The md5sum and sum results on both files were the same; the contents
> were the same when viewed with the less command; and the results of the
> file command showed type data.
>
> I would report this, but from the responses (or lack thereof) on this
> list, I may be the only one having the problem, and I am not sure who to
> tell at RH.

Dude you are not the only one having this problem. It is mostly being
caused by wrongly configured proxy server in between you and your
internet access.

Try running "file 'downloaded rpm name'".

See the output it will mostly say HTML etc etc. or something thereof.

I know this since i also faced the same problem and it turned out if I
downloaded the same stuff from the same site on my server everything was
A-OK.

So then it narrowed down to the proxy server. Now everything is again
configured correctly.

--
Arindam Dey

The mind is not a vessel to be
filled but a fire to be kindled.

GPG FPR: B8E3 219E F129 F970 F4A7  BC50 9636 504A BEDF 5739