RE: Fedora for laptops ... Re: Dell Precision M60 LapTop (Built-in Wireless) support

I have fedor a running on my HP ze4300. It works OK. I have been working
on it for a while now. It only supports ACPI (no APM)I started out with
Gentoo linux. I worked pretty good but it took me a week to get
everything installed over DSL.

Anyway I have fedora running on it now. I have figured out a few things
but I still have some work to do. I have been happy with it so far.

1. The kernel hangs on PCMCIA without ACPI enabled. Initially I
commented out the PCMCIA modules. After I figured out that I need to add
acpi=on to my grub.conf I was able to turn it on. I would not recommend
running this laptop without ACPI enabled (see item 2.)

2. With Fedora the CPU power stuff did not load automatically
(powernow-k7 for my Athlon) I had to update a script file to get it to
load. If you have a different processor then you will need to load a
different module. The cpu-freq docs indicate which are supported. Before
recommend running without the power module for your CPU loaded. If you
installed the kernel source there are docs for using the various CPU
modules /usr/src/linux/Documentation/cpu-freq. Now when I am just
browsing the net I set my CPU to about 25% speed, the fan rarely comes
on with that setting and the CPU runs at about 40C (instead of 60+C
without powernow-k7.) The command I use is

echo -n "0:53200:53200:powersave" > /proc/cpufreq

This sets the min CPU speed:max CPU speed:govenor. I included this for a
sample. I had to play around a bit to find the exact format that works.
I could not get % to work for the speed. When I am actually doing work I
set the max speed to about 75%.

3. For ACPI laptops the suspend to disk (swsusp) should work but you
have to set it up. I have not tried it because I have been too busy.
Suspend to RAM will not work under ACPI in the 2.4 kernels but there is
some support in the 2.6 kernel but from reading it still needs some
work.

I have mostly everything working, at least everything I really need:

* Screen brightness buttons
* Built-in ethernet
* Sound (ALI)
* 2D Video (ATI)

The build in WiFi appears to work, all the modules load and such and
mini-PCI Oronoco. This is the next thing I will get working.

I think that the CD Burner will also work but I have not tried it yet. I
still need to work on the volume and other buttons. I think the buttons
are just work though. I am new to Linux (at least at this level) but I
think that mapping the right commands to the buttons is all that is
required.

All in all I am happy with the laptop. I get 2+ hrs on the battery which
is about what I get in XP. Ok, so the keyboard is a little stiff and the
battery life could be better, it was what I could afford at ...