FC1.0 Install in VMWare VM

I'm installing Fedora Core 1.0 in a VMWare VM.
I created a 6G virtual disk and am trying to install
all packages.  So far, I have two problems:

1.  At the end of the install, it prompts me to make a
    boot floppy, but then says the modules required are
    too large to fit on a floppy.   What would be so
    special about the VM environment that it needs
    so many packages that it can't make a boot disk?

2.  X on initial startup fails.  The monitor selected
    during install was nonprobed -- default setting
    (I just hit OK).  The error when X starts is "Fatal
    server error:  no screens found".

Note, I am not going to load the vmware tools.

Thanks,
--
Wade Hampton