Re: Fedora for laptops ... Re: Dell Precision M60 LapTop (Built-in Wireless) support

Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:54:55 -0500
"Jonathan C. Sitte" <jcsitte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Gregory Gulik wrote:
| One of these days I'm going to try to get the swsusp patches to work
| with the Fedora kernel on my newer ACPI based laptop.

What are you waiting for? :)

What are the advantages of the swsusp over a laptop's own
hibernate function(provided the laptop's own hibernate function works with
Linux)? All I have to do is hit Fn-F12 - or just hit the power switch - on
my computer and it hibernates (suspend-to-disk).  What do I get by trying
to get swsusp working?

On the Dell Inspiron 4100 there the BIOS suspend to disk is limited to 768M of RAM, but the laptop can hold 1GB of memory. Thus, for some configurations of Dell Inspiron 4100 the BIOS suspend-to-disk will not work. I assume that the swsusp would not suffer from that limitation.

-Will