UTF-8 and (german) localization

Hi there,

I am having trouble with the German installation of Fedora Core. I belive
this is because Fedora uses LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 as standard (while RH7.x used
LANG=de_DE@euro).

But I don't really know much about this, so let me tell you the symptoms:

- GnuCash does not display umlauts (äöüß)
- Suns Java does not print umlauts.
- Gimp shows empty "tip of the day"
- Sylpheed does not display umlauts and crashes, wehn you click on a folder
  that has an umlaut in its name

And I'm sure I'll find more if I start looking.

I filed a similar bug for XEmacs for test 3, which got fixed, and now XEmacs
works almost as good as it did in RH7.3.

I tried to go back to LANG=de_DE@euro, but that didn't work either: XEmacs
gues back to english, vi won't display umlauts any more, and Sylpheed will
only work with LANG=de_DE.

What's going on here?

Franz