Re: Monitor services

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, John Dean wrote:

> Is there a program in that comes with fedora to monitor services and mail me when one goes down?

Ooooohhhhhh.... that's a big question.

The standard answer id to look at Nagios and Opennms
http://www.nagios.org http://www.opennms.org

Then again, for one machine these may be overkill.
You could Cheops which does monitoring
http://www.marko.net/cheops/
You can get it to ping (http, DNS,...) every (say) hour
and trigger an action which will email you.

Plenty of other utilities out there for network monitoring -
just go to Freshmeat and search.