newbie boot problems

hi there - I had no probs installing and booting fedora 0.94 (the second
test release) but after attempting to install the 1 release I've now run
into a few...

initially the graphical install barfed - I've stated the error below - so I
used the text install instead. all seemed OK. then I booted into it for the
first time and all was fine up until it said something like "starting first
time boot process" (?)

then it hung. no input from the keyboard or mouse produced any response. the
power button on the pc wouldn't even work - I had to power-cycle it at the
wall-socket.

what's changed since 0.94 that's buggered up the boot process? I've had a
look at the release notes and all I can see that might have had any effect
is the inclusion of experimental support for the radeon 9800 card (which I
have). I used to use the proprietary driver from ATI - but I can't now
install that to test that particular variable :-(

is there any way of getting a more interactive startup, or to see further
logging of what's going on during the boot process? or has anyone else
experienced a similar problem?

can I pass anything to grub to stop it booting to runlevel 5? runlevel 3
might help me out.

if it helps to diagnose the issue the box is a dell dimension 8300, P4
processor, IDE drives, radeon 9800 card with an on-board intel NIC.

I realise there's not much to go on here, but any help would be greatly
appreciated. thanks.

here's the graphical install error:

Running anaconda, the Fedora Core system installer - please wait...
/usr/bin/python2.2: relocation error:
/lib/libm.so.6:symbol__cxa_finalize,
version GLIBC_2.1.3 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference.
install exited abnormally.