RE: Fedora Directory Management Question

From: fedora-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Mike Burger
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2003 4:40 AM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Fedora Directory Management Question

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Richard E. Robbins wrote:

> I've got a disk and directory management question for my Fedora Core 1
> system.
>
> I've got three 9 gig disks lashed together in a Raid 0 configuration
> as /dev/md0 and mounted on my system as /raid.  I've placed /home,
> /opt and /pub under /raid.  The root directory contains symbolic links
> as follows:
>
> /home -> /raid/home
> /opt  -> /raid/opt
> /pub  -> /raid/pub
>
> Everything seems to work as I'd expect, although when I log in and do
> a pwd I get /raid/home/user instead of /home/user.
>
> Is there a better way to achieve what I'm doing on a stock Fedora
> system?

It sounds like what you did is create the RAID array, then create one big
filesystem on the array.  If you'd created 3 distinct filesystems on the
array, you could have mounted each of them under /home, /opt, and /pub,
directly.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Mike,

On my system, /home, /pub and sometimes /opt grew to very large sizes for
rather modest periods of time.  I wanted them to reside in a single big
filesystem to allow for any of them to grow relatively large and then shrink
back down to size -- assuming that in the aggregate, the three filesystems
would always fit on the array.  I used to maintain each of these filesystems
on its own 9 gig disk.  Sometimes, one of them would grow to the capacity of
its host disk at a point in time when there was ample space on the others.
If I created three distince filesystems on the array then wouldn't I lose
this behavior?

-- Rich