Re: kernel 2.6: USB Mouse won't work :/

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 04:25:56 -0500 (EST), Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Naoki wrote:

Robert,

I have the same problem. But it's my USB keyboard and mouse that don't
work. It's because the modules were not included in my 2.6 RPM. Are you
building from source?  Also the names of these devices have changed
which will mess up your old init scripts.

i build from source, and keep up to date with each BK release from
kernel.org. i've also made changes in /etc/rc.sysinit to reflect 2.6, but
that file regularly gets reverted back, probably due to my nightly yum
updates. that said, at the moment, even with an unmodified
/etc/rc.sysinit, the mouse still works. go figure.

what would be nice is an updated /etc/rc.sysinit file that's 2.6-ready.
it's ***really*** annoying to talk about moving up to the 2.6 kernel, and
yet have an init file that simply isn't ready for it. and if you *do*
change that file, it won't be appropriate for a backup 2.4 kernel, just in
case.

what's the solution here?  what are others doing?

Look at this link for an explanation/fix/workaround.

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/1587

HTH
Bob Jones