Re: Eclipse RPMs

Hi there,

> > > Some time ago, It was noticed that Eclipse RPMs were availabe at
> > > RawHide, for inclusion on Red Hat Linux 9.1 (or was it 10.0?), which
> > > became Fedora. But Eclipse isn't listed on the packages included on Core
> > > 1.
> >
> > Try JPackage.org I think. I think this would be a good inclusion too. It
> > has a (probably) unwanted Java dependency. You cannot use Eclipse
> > without Java. Now if there was a truly open source Java implemenation.

The GCJ developers have used Eclipse with GCJ only (no Sun JRE!) for quite some
time, but they patch Eclipse itself to do so, that's why a Red Hat RPM was so
interesting. I could develop Java apps, using a professional IDE, without a
proprietary Java VM.

I heard also the Eclipse RPMs contained gcc suport (CDT from Eclipse.org) and
some plugins developed by Red Hat itself, say for packaging a project as an RPM
file. Even a native eclipse build without Java (JDT) support, only C/C++
support, would be great.

[]s, Fernando Lozano