KMail Maildir folders disappeared?

With RH9.0 I had kmail folders set up somewhat like the following:
    Inbox
         mine
         kids
    Mud
    Work
         pending
         archive
              Last year
              Older

I then crashed a hard disk, which made me think it was time to try out
the newly downloaded FC1 disks. (Being the pessimistic sort, I pulled
the one remaining good disk, with /home, out of the system. After
installation, I put it back in temporarily and copied /home to the
new disk. Optimistic pessimism?) Anyway, everything seemed fine. I am
pretty sure everything showed up in kmail.

A few days later, kmail looked sparse. Eventually I realized my mail
directory structure now looked like:
   Inbox
   Work
      pending
      archive

On close examination, i.e. ls -R, the missing directories seem to be
there. They just don't get seen by kmail. On closer examination, the
missing stuff all appears to be in maildir format, as opposed to the
directories which show up and are in mbox format. (I didn't even know
about the two formats myself until a day or 2 ago, so it wasn't
anything I did intentionally.) I checked file permissions and owners,
and fixed a few minor discrepancies (to an untrained eye) with no
improvement.

I believe the mail is still there. What's more, I think (based on the
creation dates of some of the mail files in the invisible maildir
folders) kmail knows they're there, and was filtering mail to them. I
just can't get kmail to admit to me that it knows where they are.

Any suggestions? Aside from the obvious "start writing things down so
you can file a decent bug report"?

Thanks in advance!

			Jim Ford
			Fedora Fan