Re: kerberized version of fetchmail? (corrected)

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:09:00AM -0800, Globe Trotter wrote:
> OK, so if I go for kerberos 5, how do I need to modify it? The server accepts
> both 5 as well as 4.

Best thing is to find out what the server supports for authentication.
To do that for a POP3 server, use netcat to connect to the port and
issue the CAPA command:
  nc popserver.example.com pop3
  > +OK POP3 blahblahblah ready
  CAPA
  > +OK Here you go:
  > STLS
  > USER
  > SASL GSSAPI LOGIN
  QUIT
  > +OK luvyoubuhbye
The important part is the SASL capability, which lists the SASL methods
which the server supports.  If you see GSSAPI listed, change "proto KPOP
auth kerberos_v4" to "proto POP auth gssapi", of if you see KERBEROS_V5,
try "proto POP auth kerberos_v5".

If it's an IMAP server, the commands you'll want to send will look more
like this:
  nc imapserver.example.com imap
  > * OK [CAPABILITY] IMAP blahblahblah
  0001 CAPABILITY
  > * CAPABILITY STARTTLS AUTH=GSSAPI AUTH=LOGIN
  > 0001 OK CAPABILITY completed
  0002 LOGOUT
  > * luvyoubuhbye
  > 0002 OK LOGOUT completed
and you'll want to look for AUTH= capabilities.  This, more or less, is
what most mail clients (including fetchmail) will do.

HTH,

Nalin