Re: Unmouting CDROM ??

"PatrickM" <patrickm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Are more people experiencing the problem that a cd can't be unmounted ("eject cd") from Gnome after using it?

When I insert a data-cd, when right-clicking and selecting "eject", I get an error message telling me the device is busy....

I used to have this problem under Red Hat 9 too. Upwards of 90% of the time it would be FAM watching the drive for updated files, and occasionally it would be a process generating thumbnails. It's not limited just to CD-ROMs, but any removable disk. I've seen it on the USB interface to my digital camera, and once - just once - on a floppy (although now that I think about it, that one might have been under Severn.)

Sometimes just waiting a few seconds and trying again is enough. Other times I've had to killall fam or even killall -9 fam.

Kelson Vibber