Re: testing for packages differing from FC1 packages

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 07:41, Mike Klinke wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 November 2003 20:04, Bret Hughes wrote:
> > I sent a message earlier on this topic but for some reason it did not
> > make it to the list.
> >

> Bret,
>
> If I remember the right message, it did make it to the list and someone
> suggested "up2date --show-orphans" as a possible source of information.
>
> Regards,  Mike Klinke

Thanks Mike I saw it. It was a timing issue with redhat's mailman
sending all the spooled mails after having problems yesterday.  I sent
the first one asking for help about 10:30AM dinked around abit and wrote
the program and did some prelim testing and then posted the link to the
program in this thread about 2:00PM.

still nothing by 6:30 and saw other messages coming in so assumed (
incorrectly that mails were lost.  Then I did the boneheaded post AGAIN.
I think the 6:30 mail got here first and then the others in a
significantly delayed fashion, not sure of the order.

In short, my impatience has caused the confusion and I apologize.

I intend to try and determine what exactly --showorphans will catch once
I get up2date working.  I do not think I have even run it yet although I
did do an apt-get install up2date :)

I still think I will continue to enhance my script since I like the idea
of being able to get a handle on the system without being connected to a
network.  If I think a box is compromised the first thing I do is unplug
the network cable and at that point unless I am missing something,
up2date is of little use.

For some reason, I have never really trusted up2date.  I cannot explain
my discomfort except that it may be due to ignorance.  I disliked
needing to connect to redhat every time I updated a machine and since I
have local mirrors on every site that has more that 5 or ten machines
apt seemed to fit the bill.  I control what gets added to the local repo
and thus updated on all the machines after testing in the lab.

With Fedora, The scenario changes quite a bit. I am playing with a test
box now to see if the latest and greatest is worth the possibility of
upgrades and looking to determine how best to perform upgrades if I
decide to.  I am typically not an early adopter but there have been so
many changes I thought I should do some research and see what the hoopla
is about :)

Bret