Re: libcom_err.so.3 question: ahem, a newbie question

--- Andy Green <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday 11 November 2003 03:17, Globe Trotter wrote:
>
> > print. These rpm files use krb5-workstation rpm but the ones that came with
> > RH9. If I go with the new one, further down the assembly line, I get the
> > search for libcom_err.so.3 and alas, there is nothing!!
>
> Searching the list archives would have been faster than posting and waiting
> for a reply since this was only answered a couple of days ago.  make a
> symlink to the .so.2 version of the file which you will have, called
> ....so.3.

I agree and I did read those posts. But the real import of my question is
whether the two are actually the same or is just a hoped-for hack into a
problem. In other words, is  .so.2 a superset of .so.3? At least the numbering
should change then. I was hoping to get what functionality if any is lost by
using .so.2 instead of .so.3.

Finally, I was always under the impression that an upgrade over 1.0 was
backwards compatible -- does not seem to be true for kde5-workstation, does it?
Aren't we becoming more like Windoze then?