Re: don't have a floppy, but kernel thinks so

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 20:07, Joel Uckelman wrote:
> Thus spake Paul Morgan:

> > > It's already doing so.  It's trying to load the floppy driver, finding
> > > that there's no floppy controller, and abandoning it.  It winds up not
> > > bothering, once it doesn't find it.
> >
> > I second Brian's question. Is there a way to direct the kernel to NOT
> > try insmod'ing the floppy? I do not use floppy drives anymore and would
> > prefer to avoid the kernel complaints if possible.
> >
> > tia,
> > -paul
>
> You could try adding the following line to your /etc/modules.conf:
>
> alias floppy off
>
> What this will do is tell modprobe to ignore requests to load the module.
> (Q.v. modules.conf man page.)

Thanks Mike, Paul, Kai, and Joel.

The alias floppy off works great.  Its is great to get hints/solutions
to questions because it opens paths to explore.  I never thought that
the solution would be in the modules.conf.  Yes, I know that I need
things like aliases for wireless nic cards, but now I see a way to look
at the man page for module configurations/control.

Thanks.
--
Brian Millett  -  Technologist Rex
"Then the willows must scuttle carefully."