Re: libcom_err.so.3 question: ahem, a newbie question

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Andy Green wrote:

> On Tuesday 11 November 2003 03:17, Globe Trotter wrote:
>
> > print. These rpm files use krb5-workstation rpm but the ones that came with
> > RH9. If I go with the new one, further down the assembly line, I get the
> > search for libcom_err.so.3 and alas, there is nothing!!
>
> Searching the list archives would have been faster than posting and waiting
> for a reply since this was only answered a couple of days ago.  make a
> symlink to the .so.2 version of the file which you will have, called
> ....so.3.

Although is anyone actually happy with this as a solution?  Why are people so
quick to break the consistency of the RPM database, which is what they're
doing with these changes.

Wherever possible, rebuild from the SRPM, and the problem goes away.

Once you've got an RPM database that only loosely reflects what you've
actually got installed you'll get into this situation more and more.

Or maybe people just enjoy living in a world of pain?

jh

--
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it
 through not dying."