Re: FC1 pcmcia network card failure

John McBride wrote:
My netgear FA511 10/100 pcmcia network card is failing on boot after installing FC1. It did not do this with RedHat Linux 9.

Once booting is complete, pulling/reinserting the card (hotplug) restores functionality.

Not a lot of use to you, but I have exactly the same problems and symptoms with the same card. They are also resolved by reloading pcmcia after boot (/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart). This hints to me that there may be a soft fix for the problem by manipulating the init scripts (perhaps by restarting pcmcia in /etc/rc.d/rc.local), but it's early days yet, and I'm trying to find out where the network card stops working - it clearly works to some degree to start with because it gets a DHCP lease.

Also, I've just determined from pinging the machine from another that the card seems to fail at about the time the X display starts - I have an nVidia display adaptor and am currently using the standard (Fedora, not nVidia) display drivers. I'll post anything else useful as I find it.

--
Trevor Barton
Isotek Electronics Ltd., 9 Clayton Wood Bank, Leeds, LS16 6QZ, UK.