libcom_err.so.3 question: ahem, a newbie question

OK, so I installed Fedora Core and seem to have almost everything going for me
save two items...the first is that I need this above to communicate with my
(fire-walled) mailserver.

Well, the story is that my office institution hands out some rpm files which
use kerberos5 authentication and athena something or the other to print. These
rpm files use krb5-workstation rpm but the ones that came with RH9. If I go
with the new one, further down the assembly line, I get the search for
libcom_err.so.3 and alas, there is nothing!!

What are my options? The most sane option (asking them to upgrade) will not
work -- they are still testing for RH9 and here am I bugging them for FC1 which
they haven't even decided is a good thing....I fear they will much sooner shut
me down (even though I did put in a request).

Well, anyway, can someone please advise?

Oh, yes, the second issue is something I will talk about later, with a
different heading....

Thanks and best wishes!