Compaq Proliant 5000

I just installed Core 1 on a quad PentiumPro 200 Proliant. The BIOS on this machine has a problem in that it does not properly report all available RAM to the OS. In prior installs (using LILO) I could add the line append="mem=exactmap mem=640k@0m mem=511m@1m" and the machine used all available RAM. During the first attempt to install Core 1 on the machine it reported the machine had insufficient RAM to install on this hardware. I tried the install again, at the boot prompt I entered
linux mem=exactmap mem=640k@0m mem=511m@1m and the install ran fine.

Since Core 1 doesn't use LILO I can't figure out where to add these options to have grub pass it to the kernel. I tried on the kernel /vmlinz line but the machine hangs at Uncompressing Linux ... 0k booting the kernel.

Suggestions please.