Re: Handling of security erratas in Fedora

In message <043401c3a253$8a711d40$1803a8c0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jim Laverty" writ
es:
 >I would believe that Red Hat will use a spin-off of Fedora to create the
 >next generation Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 4, in the way that Red Hat
 >Enterprise Linux 3 is a enhanced spin-off of Red Hat 9.
 >
 > IMHO Fedora will be
 >the test bed for the next Enterprise release, while they try to create cash
 >flow with the Enterprise product.  If Fedora gets a reputation as an
 >insecure or unstable distro, it will be very difficult for Red Hat to market
 >a spin-off of this product (e.g. RHEL 4) to enterprise customers and thus
 >jeopardize their future maintenance revenue pipeline.
Correct.

 >With that being said, one would 'assume' that it is in Red Hat's best
 >interest to help keep the Fedora project well patched for both stability and
 >security.  Red Hat would have a very well tested next generation product to
 >build from and the current Red Hat Linux users would not feel abandoned.  I
 >would also hope that the community at large would continue to contribute to
 >the success of this project.
Also correct.  Let me be explicit here.  Fedora is important as it provides
the base functionality for Red Hat's enterprise products.

By targeting Fedora to developers we hope to increase the pace of development
and integration of new technologies that feed into our enterprise products.

 >It will be interesting to see how Fedora is actually embraced by the larger
 >application vendors/developers (e.g. Oracle, IBM, Trolltech, Ximian,
 >OpenOffice, etc), if Fedora Core 2 is released using the 2.6 kernel.
In general, I believe that introduction of new key technologies should be
the driving force behind Fedora Core release schedules.

Jeff