Re: Computer Hangs at GRUB

Sean Harding wrote:

Hi group:

I just installed FC1 on my spare computer hoping to use it as a web server, the install went fine, in fact I’ve installed successfully before on the same computer, but I swapped a Hard Drive, reinstalled and now the computer hangs on the grub loading, it doesn’t load up grub it just hangs on GRUB after it tries to boot off CD. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to fix the problem?

Thanks

Is the disk geometry correct in BIOS? Linux ignores the BIOS (IIRC) and makes it's own disk geometry tables. You could have successfully installed with incorrect settings but I think GRUB uses the BIOS to determine disk layout and so will now be looking at a different area on disk.

Do you get a "Loading stage whatever" type error?

You say you swapped a hard drive out. Was there more than one hard drive in the system?

Did you install GRUB to the /dev/hda or /dev/hda1?

Do you get an operating system not found type error or a total or semi-lockup with no text on screen?

--
Scott Burns
Mirrabooka Systems

Tel +61 7 3857 7899