Updating options

I have used up2date for a long time with Red Hat systems. I've been
reading about people using both apt and yum recently. I see that yum
exists on my Fedora system but apt (or apt-get) does not. Can someone
tell me if I need to use either or both of these in addition to up2date?
Instead of up2date? What repositories should I be pointing to for yum or
apt-get? Is the standard configuration acceptable? If not, what should
it look like??

Thanks in advance,

nbc
--