Security Settings and GDM beeps

Here's two different questions...

1.) I setup firewalling during the install and I had the option to
specify which port were open.  When I open the configuration panel to
edit my security settings, I can only choose from common port types
(SSH, TELNET, HTTP, FTP, etc...)  How can I add other ports so that they
are open as well.  The last time I sent this question in I got one reply
that was completely unintelligible, it was random characters.

2.) It's been said before, but GDM beeps when it is loaded up.  I know
this is for the blind, but it gets quite annoying, especially when I
boot my laptop up in class.  How can I disable this?

Stephen Gerstacker