Re: Specific Fedora kernel

On Sunday 09 November 2003 18:54, Dave Jones wrote:

>  > As a matter of interest, why is a special kernel needed at all?
>
> See list archives. I've answered this at least twice in the last few weeks.

With 100 messages a day one has to be parsimonious in one's reading matter.
I was not in fact aware that you had any particular importance in this sphere,
so would not have paid particular importance to your postings.
Maybe you should have a title "Official Fedora kernel compiler" or some such,
so that ignoramuses like me will know we should listen when you speak.

>  > Can't I just compile the latest 2.4 or 2.6 kernel from www.kernel.org?
>
> Yes, with caveats that you lose the bits we add (see archive).

To be a little rude in return -- I have always found RedHat's special kernels
to be a snare and a delusion.
Far from being better than the Torvald's version
they nearly always had weird quirks.
(Eg none of the ones I tried had Bluetooth properly installed.)

I'm perfectly happy to wait until an improvement gets Torvald's blessing.
What I wouldn't be happy about would be if Fedora made some change,
eg in an init script, which meant the official kernel no longer ran properly.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366