A word on minimum hardware.

I have been been in error so often recently on postings I thought I
could add some information that someone recently questioned about.
That is minimum hardware for fedora.
At home I am running a Pentium II 400 MHz , 128M ram and 256M swap.
Installing a subset of the total system id 2.2 G including Gnome and
KDE. Leaving out development software, and software for servers (Web,
DNS. etc) I find the system running tolerably well. Of course, the
Office stuff and Mozilla are slow to open the first time.

On the other hand on a machine at work with everything and more
installed (6G) with a Pentium III 500MHz I needed to increase the Ram
to 384M before the speed is tolerable. Swap is also 256M. 512M ram is
much better for performance.

We argue here about why the difference in hardware requirements. Well
there seems to be a combination of two possibilities.
The larger installation has more resident programs running and context
switching is much higher. Other suggestions are possible but what
seems obvious is installing everything requires more resources. But the
large difference in behavior was somewhat surprising.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.